jingfrey.tumblr.com

Saturday, August 21, 2004

http://www.jkrowling.com/ and alt.fan.harry-potter

Finally looked up JK Rowling's official site ... and got some updates on Harry Potter. No wonder I often see the topic "Half Blood Prince" in forums these days ... never read them thinking it was another fanfic title - surprise! It's the actual title of the 6th book. When I first saw the name Ginevra Weasley in a fanfic, I thought it was a joke - found out that Rowling said it is the character's real name. Someone please tell the lady that the name brings to mind a brand of gin in the Philippines - Ginebra San Miguel. Hey, what about someone creating a fanfic character with the name Virginia St. Michael? He he he!

Once you get tired of looking through the official Harry Potter sites of Scholastic, Warner Bros., and Bloomsbury, as well as the sites of Rowling, and HP movie actors like Felton, Waylett, etc. ... and you find no interesting HP fanfic in fanfiction.net, reading the posts in the "alt.fan.harry-potter" newsgroup is very interesting. Actually, I just go to Google : Groups, type "harry potter" or similar keywords, and read whatever catches my fancy.

A recent topic is making me chuckle - people are seriously discussing the theory that Dumbdledore and Ron Weasley are the same person. If I got it right, Ron supposedly went back in time and was Dumbledore. Wouldn't be surprised if the person who started this idea has read T.H. White's "The Once and Future King" (love this novel) where Merlin ages backward.

Then they analyze just about every scene and character. Sheesh!! If I ever write anything that gets published, and these guys start analyzing it, they'd end up knowing more about the novel than I do. Wonder if Rowling feels the same way?

Haven't finished the thread yet ... and I am amazed at the length the proponents of the theory have gone to in order to prove their point. Hilarious, but AMAZING.

No comments:

My Other Blogs

Followers

Awards Received by this Blog

From Rachel, given July 23, 2007:

From Rachel, given February 21, 2008:

Rachel's blogs

Sam's Blogs

More Blogs