jingfrey.tumblr.com

Wednesday, August 27, 2003

Fan fic addiction

The first fan fiction I read was the Secret Diaries of Cassandra Claire ... it's a parody of Lord of the Rings (LOTR). Very funny. It's also slash - meaning a character paired up with another character of the same sex. When I first read them, right after the first movie was shown, it only had entries from the nine members of the fellowship. Now it has entries from Gollum, Sauron and Ringwraith No. 5.

You MUST check it out .... it's at this site: http://home.nyu.edu/~amw243/diaries/

I could remember two more LOTR fanfics because they were funny too. They were of the crossover type - where characters of one book/movie run into characters of another book/movie. Unfortunately I didn't bookmark the sites.

One fic had Hogwart's forbidden forest leading into Middle Earth. It's Harry Potter vs. LOTR... Dumbledore in a showdown vs. Gandalf, Harry Potter and Ron vs. Frodo and Sam, Voldemort vs. Sauron, Hermione pulling Arwen's hair, the Weasley twins trying to outsmart the sons of Elrond. Get the crazy picture?

The other one had the Evangelion team accidentally teleporting to Middle Earth and landing on Legolas who was flouncing up on Mt. Caradhras. The elf guy battles with amnesia as the rest of the fellowship figure out what to do with the strangers.

I read more on the LOTR genre but the others weren't as interesting. The combination of drama/romance/slash just didn't suit me. I couldn't figure out why there are so many slash fics anyway... some of the homosexual relationships created between the characters are just too creepy.

It wasn't until this June when I started to be addicted to fan fiction... because I discovered the Harry Potter genre. After finishing HP#5 (Order of the Phoenix), I was hungry for more. Although I told Pen that I don't like reading fanfics of HP because they may influence my expectations of J.K. Rowling's yet unpublished books (#6 and #7 are still in the works), I gave in to the hunger and visited one of her recommended sites. I got hooked.

The slash fics are still there but I find them bearable to LOTR slash. I don't go looking for slash though, I search for the funny ones... and the search engine sometimes coughs up funny slash stories.

I'm a Draco Malfoy/Ginny Weasly (DM/GW) shipper. To non-readers of fanfics, a ship pertains to a preferred romantic pairing. So there are the Harry/Hermione (H/Hr)shippers, Harry/Draco (H/D) shippers, Draco/Hermione (D/Hr) shippers, etc.

Like I said, I'm a D/G shipper. I've had too much Harry Potter in the real HP books, I think Ron and Hermione should be together, but THAT pairing could only cough up a few interesting fanfics, and I do not like slash, so I got on the D/G ship.

Actually, I blame Cassandra Claire of the Secret Diaries fame for my D/G thing. Hey do you know that her friends have started selling "Sam will kill him if he tries anything" t-shirts?

Anyway, back to topic. Cassie wrote the Draco Malfoy trilogy. First long, non-funny, romantic HP fanfic I ever read. Draco's a bit OOC (out of character) in it, but the girl HAS imagination. She hadn't finished the last in the trilogy yet - Draco Veritas. I wish she would quit with the slash and go back to finishing the series. I've gathered from discussion groups that the series is also popular with other readers.

If you want to read the trilogy, click here: http://www.schnoogle.com/authorLinks/Cassandra_Claire/

Fiction Alley, where Cassie is listed, is home to Harry Potter fanfics only. The way they arrange the fics needs improvement.

I've recently decided to hound the archives of fanfiction.net where I don't have a headache searching for my type of stories. Besides, fanfiction.net does not limit itself to Harry Potter fanfics. You'd find fanfics on Evangelion, Simpsons, Final Fantasy, James Bond, Les Miserables, X-men, Sex and the City, as well as crossovers in there.

This morning I just laughed out loud till i cried reading a dream scene from a funny HP fanfic by liltrick89. Here's the link: I'm too Sexy. The part that had me laughing is here: Chapter 6. Hope the links work for you.

Ahh, day's early. No irritating "Mag-exercise tayo tuwing umaga" by Yoyoy Villame blaring from the neighbor's boombox. Going to watch Pirates of the Caribbean later with Sam (It's short for Sampaguita although she wishes her real name's Samantha instead) and ogle at Orlando Bloom. We've seen it separately, but we want to watch it and dream about Orli together. Ha ha ha! Sam's into him more than I am ... she has his picture in her wallet! Too bad he's younger than we are. He he he! Here's hoping we have a good, uneventful day today, eh? Cheers!

No comments:

My Other Blogs

Followers

Awards Received by this Blog

From Rachel, given July 23, 2007:

From Rachel, given February 21, 2008:

Rachel's blogs

Sam's Blogs

More Blogs