jingfrey.tumblr.com

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Day Out with Sam

Sam texted me last Friday that half her face was paralyzed. Initially, I was worried that she had a mild stroke. Grabbed hold of my brother at the clinic via phone and with Sam on another phone, we had a mini-consultation session which made him guess that Sam had Bell's Palsy. He suggested that Sam go to a hospital and have it diagnosed correctly.

Sam also had another doctor friend, Daniel, who more or less had the same diagnosis ... actually he even texted Sam what medicine and vitamin pills to buy to ease the pain.

Since Sam hates going to the hospital, I was surprised to get a call from her Saturday morning telling me that she already visited her mom's doctor who had the same diagnosis. She was told to rest for 2 weeks so she took a break from teaching summer school. She was actually calling me from the school office.

Sam postponed our lunch meeting at Southmall and asked if we could just meet at her house instead ... and since it was her mom's birthday, I asked her what I should bring to the house ... I was thinking of a cake but Sam told me to get pizza because it goes with the spaghetti she cooked.

On the way to her house, Sam called me and changed plans ... she wanted to meet me in the mall instead. Good thing I was still in the vehicle and not in a restaurant buying pizza to go.

We ended up eating lunch at Pizza Hut Southmall. My brother met us there and joined us for lunch. Since my brother and I just celebrated our birthdays, I told Sam that the day was my treat. Sam spent most of the time consulting my brother about the disease that they were only halfway through with their food while I was already finished with mine.

When they finally finished, I asked if there's an ice cream house in Southmall to which Sam answered in the negative. I suggested we go to Mall of Asia for desert ... it was nearer than Makati. I was actually in one of those "It's hot ... let's go to Tagaytay and stay overnight" moods, and when we got to Manila, Sam firmly said no to the plan... although all it would take is board a bus going there. The bus actually stopped in front of us. He he he!

At Mall of Asia, we first looked for an eyepatch for Sam to use on her affected eye, then bought tickets to the Boleyn movie. Since we had more than 30 minutes to spare, we looked for an ice cream house for the dessert but Icebergs was overflowing with people that we decided to go to another place. We passed by Tokyo Cafe, and since I haven't eaten there before, I suggested we go in. Sam and I ordered crepes with ice cream, while Jon ordered Symphony ... which is a combination of vanilla ice cream, chocolate ice cream, chocolate syrup and whipped cream.

Pics at the Tokyo Cafe.

DSC00005

DSC00006

At the cinema, the lady outside the door asked if we were going in for the "Boylen girl" movie ... I initially thought that she said "boy and girl" then I realized she mixed up some letters in Boleyn. Ha ha ha!

Read this entry for my review of that movie: http://box-o-donuts.blogspot.com/2008/04/movie-other-boleyn-girl.html

After the movie, we overheard someone bragging about her knowledge of the British royal family to what we assume was her girlfriend ... from what we heard, I think she thought the Elizabeth at the end of the movie was the current Queen Elizabeth ... which had us chuckling.

Jon and I accompanied Sam to the area where she could catch a ride home. We then walked over to the other side where we could catch our ride home but people were standing waiting a van to arrive. We decided to take a shuttle to Buendia-Taft instead where we know there are lots of buses headed for home. Since we went back in to mall on our way to the shuttle stop, we decided to might as well buy some pancit and dimsum to bring home for our parents and older sister.

No comments:

My Other Blogs

Followers

Awards Received by this Blog

From Rachel, given July 23, 2007:

From Rachel, given February 21, 2008:

Rachel's blogs

Sam's Blogs

More Blogs