jingfrey.tumblr.com

Sunday, November 04, 2007

Cavite's Masonry ties

Surfing the net on anything that may be related to my dad's military service during World War 2. Surprise, surprise ... some people in the group my dad belonged to were masons.

To quote from: http://www.glphils.org/kinship/virata.htm
During the War, Virata joined the underground movement. He organised the Noli Club, which was later incorporated with the Cavite United Free Guerrilla Forces, Magirog Unit, where he was commissioned Colonel and made an adviser.

My dad was part of the Mag-Irog Unit. He's no mason ofcourse. The nearest he got to joining a "frat" is the Knights of Columbus... he insists that the KC group he joined was the original one (or probably the first established in the country). He eventually quit when he realized most members were there for the NETWORKING. It disgusted him.

My grandfather on his side was a mason. I personally think one reason he was chosen by the Americans to be the first mayor or "Presidente Municipal" of his town was that he was a mason.

Being a mason must be part of being Caviteno. You can't read any article on Cavite that doesn't mention masonry, and I bet there's a mason in each clan. I wasn't surprised my two older brothers said that at one point or another they considered becoming masons too. My dad's not crazy about that but they're old enough to make their own decisions. As far as I know, they haven't joined yet.

Ofcourse there are others who go on the other extreme as well... an aunt and probably her family is Opus Dei, and I do know from the Pangilinans that there is a group in Cavite who has gone back to the old mass ... as in Latin.

I can't imagine myself being in any of those groups.

No comments:

My Other Blogs

Followers

Awards Received by this Blog

From Rachel, given July 23, 2007:

From Rachel, given February 21, 2008:

Rachel's blogs

Sam's Blogs

More Blogs